The club will be hosting an M1 Garand rifle match on November 9th at 9:00 AM. Shooters should bring an M1 Garand or other WWII-era military rifle firing a full power cartridge (no .223 or 7.62×39). This is a 50 round match: 10 rounds standing rapid fire, 10 rounds sitting rapid fire, 10 rounds prone rapid fire, and 20 rounds prone slow fire. You will be firing at SR-1 style targets at 100 yards. Bring your rifle, ammo, and some kind of open chamber indicator for safety. There is a $5 entry fee to cover range costs. Non-members are welcome to join the match.
In order to improve safety training, increase participation in club activities, and more thoroughly screen prospective new members, some changes have been made to the membership application process.
Prospective new members:
- Must come to a regular monthly meeting and bring or fill out the new member application. Fees will be $20 initiation fee plus $96 annual membership fee.
- Must have a daylight walk through with a safety team member. The rules will be read and discussed with the prospective new member. The safety rules will be signed and dated. They will also be given a list of all regularly scheduled matches
- Must attend one formal competition or match (preferably rifle match) to observe range procedures. Or come to the range with a member in good standing 2 or 3 times. Member in good standing to be determined be the board.
- After completing the above requirements, they will attend their second regular monthly meeting, they will be given an oral or written safety test. After which, they will be asked to step outside. A discussion of their performance on the test and on the range will take place. They must have a 2/3 majority vote of the members present to be accepted into the club as an associate member.
- All associate members will have a one year probationary period.
- During this one year probationary period, they will not be allowed to bring guests other than direct family (spouse and children living at home) to the range.
- They must attend 4 regularly scheduled meetings during their probationary period.
- After 12 months as associate member, a review of their meeting attendance, work days, range etiquette and other club participation will take place. Any time in this 12 month period if a club member observes any infraction of our range/safety rules, it should be brought before the club for review. They must have a 2/3 vote of the members to be accepted to full membership into SOSC. If they fail to pass this vote due to meeting attendance or work days, they must start the process over again to be accepted in subsequent years.
For current club members, be aware that we will now be enforcing the three meeting per year attendance requirement for continued membership. Exceptions may be granted for work or health reasons, so contact a club officer if necessary to discuss the issue. Also, annual dues have been raised to $96.
All members need to come to the January 8th meeting to pay their 2019 dues and turn in a membership renewal application. Here are the links to the 2019 application:
Just a reminder: all members must attend the January club meeting on Tuesday the 9th to renew your membership. Please bring a membership application with your current contact information and $60 in cash or check. You can download the 2018 membership application form here.
Prospective new members: complete membership information and application forms can be found here.